Birth Trauma Recovery
Hello – welcome to this page.
The very fact you are here and looking to get help to get you through your experience – I am sorry for what’s happened to you and that it wasn’t the experience that you wanted.
When we’ve experienced birth trauma/birth grief or another perinatal trauma (breastfeeding, baby in neonatal, postnatal experience) it can cause us to feel some of these emotions:
BUT AT LEAST YOU HAVE A HEALTHY BABY…..
Having a birth or another perinatal experience which wasn’t as you expected can cause the following issues:
- Heightened level of anxiety
- Not bonding with your baby
- Relationship problems with your partner/family
- Inability to cope day-to-day
- Postnatal depression/anxiety/PTSD
- Inability to sleep
These can affect mum – however, it can affect Dad too (yes Dads are susceptible to PTSD/PND/Anxiety and more) – just as much!!!!
BUT GREAT NEWS – you are here and you recognise you need help to get through this experience.
And unfortunately you are not alone – I receive a steady stream of messages from parents seeking help to overcome what their experience has been. In fact, this was one of the reasons I learned to use this technique BECAUSE I met so many women wanting a doula for their second birth who had been traumatised by their first experience. I wanted a quick and effective way of supporting them and this is it.
Here’s a bit more information about it:
“I was diagnosed with postnatal depression and post traumatic stress disorder after becoming seriously ill with sepsis & pneumonia a few weeks after the birth of my baby girl. I was struggling to cope, to look after my older children, couldn’t sleep without having nightmares, and fell into a really dark place. On the days I managed to drag myself out of bed I found myself pretending I was getting out and about when my older kids were at nursery/partner at work, and would change the position of the pram then throw some clothes on before they came home to make it look as though we had been out. I was desperate to feel able to cope with all 3 kids on my own and yet the thought made me feel sick, as though it wasn’t possible.
I visited Tricia for Rewind therapy and I can honestly say it has turned everything around for me.
After a couple of sessions and some more reflection on things I hadn’t been able to properly process before I am back to enjoying looking after my children and having confidence in myself a mother. I go out because I want to, not because I have to. There’s rarely a day in the week that I’m not meeting someone for coffee/lunch or going to a baby group. I have known Tricia and admired her work for some time, I probably wouldn’t have considered Rewind therapy if it wasn’t her I had heard about it from, but I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any form of trauma. It’s hard to explain exactly what it’s like but Tricia is clearly a natural with it, as I got so relaxed and into the “zone” I fell asleep during my first session. I am so very thankful for my opportunity to receive this help and get my life back on track.”
So here’s how Birth Trauma Recovery can help you:
The aim of Birth Trauma Recovery is to allow you to come to terms with your birth or post-birth experience. It won’t erase the memory of your baby’s birth/experience, but it will enable you to reflect differently.
- Identify and isolate specific events or series of events around your birth/experience that are causing you difficulty to process – maybe ruminating in your head
- Explore the emotions that you’ve been experiencing
- The REWIND process may help to neutralise these feelings – ie you won’t cry or feel angry when you remember your baby’s birth
- Helps you re-gain control and get on with life again
- You may be able to discuss your birth calmly and openly
- You may feel much more positive towards the birth experience
- It may give you the freedom to confidently plan your next birth (if you are planning to have more children)
- You might feel less anger or disappointment.
Birth Trauma Recovery may be for you if you:
- Are needing help to overcome your birth
- Want to be at peace with your birth
- Are ready to work through the experience and isolate any specific triggers
- Have tried other therapies and nothing has worked
- Are open to trying a completely different approach
- Prioritise your health and well-being
So what is Birth Trauma Recovery?
- One-to-one sessions over Skype or in my home in Edinburgh
- Are for mums or dads who need the space to process the birth they have experienced or witnessed
- Uses a mixture of tools – primarily REWIND (see below) or EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique – often referred to as tapping) which can help get to the root of the issues very quickly and also help to release and reduce the intensity around these
- If needed, you might be taught EFT which you can use as a method to whenever you get a flashback or trigger (and you can use throughout the rest of your life)
- Identify any other ways you can get help and support through this time
- Helps regain control over your emotions
- Safe, non-judgemental and confidential space
So what ISN’T Birth Trauma Recovery
- Removal of your memory
- Counselling – this is a technique to help you to remove the emotions surrounding the birth/other experience
Where do I have experience using this technique?
I’ve used this technique successfully with mums and dads who have had:
- Difficult births
- Had a difficult post birth experience (eg sepsis or long term stay in hospital for other health issue)
- Babies have been separated post birth due a complication
- Breastfeeding trauma
- Stayed in the Mother and Baby Unit
- Recovering from postnatal depression/anxiety (PTSD from PND is something that can happen)
- An experience pre-birth such as surgery, fertility, or something else which may impact the birth
- Tokophobia (fear of childbirth)
What is the ‘REWIND’ technique?
It’s a non-intrusive, safe and highly effective psychological method for de-traumatising people, which can also be used for removing phobias and is only performed once a person is in a state of deep relaxation.
When they are fully relaxed, they are encouraged to bring their experience to the surface and then are calmed down again by being guided to recall or imagine a place where they feel totally safe and at ease.
Their relaxed state is then deepened and they are asked to imagine that, in their special safe place, they have a TV set and a DVD player with a remote control facility. They are asked to imagine floating to one side, out of body, and to watch themselves watching the screen, without actually seeing the picture (creating a double dissociation). They watch themselves watching a ‘film’ of the traumatic event that is still affecting them. The film begins at a point before the trauma occurred and ends at a point at which the trauma is over and they feel safe again.
Besides being safe, quick and painless, the technique has the advantage of not re-traumatising the client. Intimate details do not have to be made public.
The overall effect is that instead of remembering your birth in the same way, you start to be able to calmly reflect on your birth with all emotions removed.
It is a very effective and well tested technique that neutralises the disturbing feelings associated with trauma. The memory of what happened still exists but it no longer provokes any of the emotions associated with the events.
Here’s the evidence from PTSD Resolution Charity that supports veterans with PTSD (specifically Human Givens approach).
Tell me MORE – I’m ready to book
- Sessions will take place at a time of your choosing via Skype or in person in my home
- You can start anytime after your baby is born, I’d suggest waiting at least 4-6 weeks to see how the brain is already working through your birth
- You can do this at any point in your pregnancy
- Most clients will only need two sessions, others might need more if there are other issues going on too – it might be that those clients move on to EFT sessions
- £125 for two sessions – it is expected that it will be 2 sessions. Very occasionally, more sessions might be needed but not expected.
- To find out more (with no obligation to book), please contact me